Anxiety and the puppy blues

It has been almost 3 weeks since we got Poppy and last week, my anxiety levels were sky high. I had to put some time aside to think about why exactly I was so anxious. Poppy is almost fully potty trained, has few pee accidents at home, is relaxed and learning fast - she can already sit, leave it, go potty and now alerts us when we needs to do her business. She sleeps through the night and we expected to wake up to a pee puddle every morning - this has never happened. We gated a small area near our washer-dryer area and she sleeps there for the night, so she doesn't even have to be crated. No barking, whining whatsoever. She seems too good to be true.

It turns out, I am anxious about being in an apartment setting and about sufficiently exercising her. She's only 4 months old, but has the energy of a horse. I don't know how I'd manage her if it were just me and if my DH wasn't around, especially in the evenings. I am anxious about managing the home, keeping it clean, being able to cook a nutritious dinner for my family and about having sufficient time for my family. All we can think or talk about is Poppy- I love that we're so into her, but I am worried we don't have time for ourselves. We've decided to board her for the long weekend, and also next weekend when DH is out of town. She has puppy play dates lined up and I am looking forward to spending quality time with DH and LO. Besides, P needs to get used to being boarded and it is best to start earlier than later. I am not sure what to expect, but have decided to think positive and hopefully, she'll enjoy it and so will we.

Comments